In this step by step tutorial we’ll learn how to migrate your contents and images from WordPress to Ghost.
Ghost is an emerging open source blogging platform. It is a Node.js CMS for content publishing and comes with simple and clean interface which makes it easy to use. It’s a wonderful platform for the beginners as it focuses on Markdown instead of WYSIWYG editing. Power and speed of Node.js makes Ghost a very fast. Due to the simplicity of the platform, lots of users are switching from other platforms. Since, WordPress is the number one platform for content management. Hence, more users migrate to ghost from wordpress. In this tutorial we’ll go through all the migration steps using Official WordPress Export Plugin.
With official WordPress Export Plugin you can easily migrate your content from WordPress to Ghost. In this tutorial we’ll guide you how to export your content from WordPress to a Ghost site. So, you must have working installation of WordPress an WordPress Export Plugin Installed.
Export contents from WordPress
First of all you’ll have to install the plugin. Follow the following steps to install the plugin
- Click on Plugins from the sidebar menu
- Click Add New and use the search field in the top right corner to search for Ghost Export
- Install and Activate the plugin by “Ghost Foundation“
- Once the plugin is activated navigate to Tools from side menu
- Click Export to Ghost with the sidebar menu.
- You’ll be provided with a guide on how to prepare your WordPress content for Ghost.
- Since, Ghost uses tags instead of categories so plugin will help you convert Categories into Tags.
The following steps will permanently change the content structure of your WordPress site. If you are unsure of making this change please use the standard WordPress Export tool under Tools > Export to create a full backup of all your content.
- Navigate to Import in the sidebar menu
- Click Run Importer under the Taxonomy Converter import item.
- Use the checkboxes to select the categories you want to import into your Tags and therefore into your Ghost site.
- Then click Convert Categories to Tags.
- Navigate back to Export to Ghost within Tools in the sidebar menu.
- Click the Download Ghost File button. You’ll have downloaded a zip file containing all your content.
Import contents into Ghost
- Log into Ghost admin and navigate to Labs view.
- Click the Choose file button within the Import content option and select your exported zip file
- Click Import. All your content will then be imported into your Ghost site.
At this time, Ghost does not have any built in commenting system. The most popular alternative is Disqus.
In this article we learned how to prepare your WordPress contents ready for migration to Ghost. We used the official Ghost Migration Plugin by the Ghost Foundation to perform migrations.