Design powerful, interactive, and easy to use Joomla theme with open source Gantry framework to boost page loading speed and for optimum performance.
We’ve already created a post for creating responsive templates in Joomla, so we will concentrate on creating the theme with Gantry Framework in this guide. In this blog post, we will cover the following sections:
What is Gantry?
Gantry is a free and open source theming framework for Joomla. Gantry is a fast and flexible web theme framework. It is built on a 12 column, 960 Grid System layout. It is an easy to use for both the developers and end users. Gantry has a drag & drop feature that helps users to customize the theme quickly because GUI functionality helps you designing of site quickly instead of writing code. It is based on a text file configuration (YAML), so it is easy to edit these text files.
Installing Gantry Framework
- Download Gantry from http://gantry.org/downloads
- Navigate to Extensions -> Extensions Manager -> Install and select the Choose File button. Locate the downloaded zip and click Upload & Install.
- You can see Gantry extensions under Extensions Manager. Make sure that all of Gantry extensions are enabled.
Installing Gantry Theme
- Go to Extensions -> Extensions Manager -> Install. Select the Choose File button, locate the downloaded zip and click Upload & Install button. Gantry template will appear in the Template Manager.
- Go to Extensions -> Template Manager, select the gantry checkbox and make it default template for your site.
Create Theme with Gantry
A very easy way to build the Gantry theme, take current theme and use it as a template for creation of your new theme.
- Download, unzip and open Hydrogen theme.
- Change names of files and directories.
- Let’s say your new theme name is “mytheme”, so replace hydrogen with mytheme in files and directories.
- Search files for the theme name. Find and Replace old theme name with new one like “hydrogen to mytheme, Hydrogen to Mytheme & HYDROGEN to MYTHEME”.
- Zip theme, install it and that’s it.
The theme is a central part of every website and attracts visitors with a beautiful UI. You can create a Joomla template free with or without any theming framework but you can create highly interactive and responsive Joomla template with the Gantry framework. It would help you to save development cost & time. Gantry is one of the best Joomla template framework, so you can enjoy true power of it by consuming features like layout manager, visual menu editor, SCSS/LESS support, theme inheritance and many more.
Finally, containerize.com is in a consistent process of writing blog posts on further latest open source products. Therefore, stay in touch with this Content Management category for the latest updates.
You may find the following links relevant: